Wednesday, August 15, 2007

9 million cries heard across the nation

It happened yet again. Mattel has recalled 9 million of its toys due to lead in paint and choking hazards on small magnetic parts. Out of curiosity I took a look at the bottom of every toy that Lillie plays with just to see where it was manufactured. Much to my surprise ALL of them are manufactured in China. All of them plastic and painted and being licked on a daily basis.

So, this makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Is Mattel the only company that has paid more attention to its products lately or were they faulty in not checking them and this is the result? Are all the other toy manufacturers doing a better job? I'm not quite sure how to feel about it. Do I trust that the FTC and CPSC are testing all things that may come in contact with the mouths of babes? I'm not sure.

All I know is poor mothers all across this country had to deal with small cries and whines from their child's' toys being taken away. Probably not a good way to spend your Wednesday. Thank goodness mine is too young to have an attachment to toys. I have a sneaking suspicion toy sales across the US will begin to decline. An alternative - shameless self promotion here - buy a hand-made, lead-free toy from Two Blue Peas!

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home