Monday, September 17, 2007

Keep On Rockin' In the Free World

Technically its not actually free. I pay dearly the other 362 days a year by eating many a TV dinner alone and sometimes going to bed curled up with Django (who, on the bright side, is softer and takes up a lot less space in bed) instead of Kevin. Thankfully the hefty price comes with a pretty big reward. While poor Kevin is running around for three days like a roasted chicken in the sweltering heat trying to make sure the Austin City Limits Music Festival is everything festival goers dreamed it would be, I’m basking in the shade with my fancy little spouse wristband that grants me access to a musical experience unlike most fans could ever imagine.

First there are the portable restrooms. Yes, restrooms. Not the blue water, squatting room only port-o-potties of yesteryear. These things are air-conditioned, have floor-to-ceiling private stall doors, hardwood floors, running water and a mirror to check my smile for any free catered food that might have gotten caught in my teeth.

Then there’s the hottest, or shall I say coolest, commodity in the park – abundant shade. Unfortunately for the 65,000 other brave patrons, Austin’s Zilker Park is practically devoid of trees. If I start to break a sweat while rocking out to the Indigo Girls from the front row, I can head off to a private oasis of trees, misting fans and an endless supply of ice cold water.

The biggest reward of all though is when Kevin finds the time to sneak away from his duties long enough to take me on stage and hold my hand while we witness the sights and sounds of what makes this stressful time so very worth it. As a diehard music-loving couple, few things top seeing our favorites perform live from such an incredible vantage point. Add to that a blissful crowd, a beautiful sunset and an Austin skyline backdrop, and suddenly the occasional night alone with Django and a Lean Cuisine doesn’t seem half bad.

bookmark and share

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2007 at 1:22 PM , Blogger A Spirited Mom said...

What a sweet post about holding your husband's hand. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home