Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Paging Dr. Crocker

Of course my husband and I are sick. At a ripe old 28, maybe we’re getting too old for three straight days of scorching heat, brain-thumpingly loud music and 3 A.M. Mac and Cheese snacks with our weekend houseguests. “Houseguests”. That makes them sound so tame. What about getting together with the old college roommates makes us think we’re 19 again and have the stamina to party like its 1999? (Yes, I’m embarrassed to say that’s a direct Prince reference.)

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade this time for anything in the world. Until it actually kills me, I plan to keep hitting the Austin City Limits Music Festival every year together just as we have the 5 before. Thank God for the work-at-home schedule a la Two Blue Peas and for my trusty, cure-all tortilla soup recipe.

I can’t believe I’m about to do this – for two reasons actually. Firstly, because this recipe is my secret (read: easy) weapon. I cook it for sick friends, brand new parents and hung-over houseguests. Secondly because this must mean I’ve crossed some sort of rite of passage into true womanhood. I’m swapping recipes for Pete’s sake. What’s next? Wednesday night bunko and wine spritzers?

I guess it’s worth it if any of you are sick or even just looking for a tasty recipe to spice up your chicken with wild rice rut. I can't take full credit though. It’s a Betty Crocker original with my own Texas twist. Bon appétit, ya'll…

1 T vegetable oil
1 c chopped onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
3 c chicken broth
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 T lime juice
1 t ground cumin
½ t dried oregano
¼ t Tabasco sauce
¼ t salt
1 can lime and cilantro Rotel
1 can white corn
1 can great northern beans
1 can navy beans
½ c chopped squash
2 c shredded (cooked) chicken breast

Cook onions and garlic in heated oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except chicken and heat to boiling. Reduce and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add chicken and simmer 5 more minutes. Top each bowl with cheese, tortilla chips and fresh cilantro. Then kiss girlhood goodbye for making a recipe someone posted on their blog.

bookmark and share

1 Comments:

At September 19, 2007 at 10:24 AM , Blogger amy (metz) walker said...

I have no clue how I ran across your website, but I love it...and the blog is great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home