Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"Deceptively Delicious" or Deceptively Dangerous?

When I first heard about Jessica Seinfeld’s new "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook, I have to admit it sounded pretty brilliant. I have yet to meet a kid who can’t wait to scarf down their steamed spinach and brussels sprouts. And with Oprah’s seal of approval, it’s got to be more delicious than deceptive right?

But then I started thinking. Thinking about how childhood obesity is on the rise and average life expectancy may be on the decline partly due to poor food choices. Are parents sending the right message to their kids by encouraging them to eat more brownies and cake because they’re “good for you”? I don’t care if it’s packed with puréed beets. It’s still cake.

I’ve watched Helen go through the floor-stained, wall-spattered trials and tribulations of finding veggies that a 1 year old will actually eat. But she did it. She ruled out (for now) the ones that end up on the floor for the cat to clean up, and stocks up on the ones that make it in Lillie’s belly.

I obviously can’t remember as far back as my first tango with veggies, but I do distinctively recall sitting at the kitchen table still staring at my broccoli long after the dishes had been cleared and the rest of the family had retreated to the living room to watch Solid Gold. Thank you Mom for sticking to your guns and creating healthy eating habits for me at such an early age. It probably would have been a lot easier for you to slap a carrot brownie on my plate and call it a day.

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home