Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Signing Time!

I have to admit I was a skeptic. Babies and sign language, that seems a little ridiculous. I watched videos on the subject, browsed through a few books. But, not until I actually started using signs with my 12 month old daughter was I amazed and shocked how quickly these little ones can absorb it. Lillie right now can sign milk, more and all done. We started not too long ago with signing and I'm super impressed by her progress.

One of Lillie's babysitters had recommended a show on PBS, Signing Time. When she first told me about it, all I could think of was C-SPAN and the ASL person signing the commentary on the bottom right side of your TV screen. I should give PBS more credit, they are, after all, the creators of Sesame Street. I set my DVR to record the show a few weeks ago and was more than pleasantly surprised by the content and format. It's bright, colorful and is full of songs and signing. One watch with Lillie and I was hooked. Not only is she watching and trying to say and sign some of the words, but I've just picked up a second language. I like to impress my husband at the end of the day with signs for grouchy, sick, happy or surprised (totally dorky, I know).

I hope we can progress and at least get the basics down for my daughter. Believe me, signing is a much better alternative than whining or moaning. We've replaced throwing all her dinner on the floor when she's done with a simple wave of the hands. Check out the show and read up on the subject, I promise you won't be disappointed.

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home