Monday, October 8, 2007

Yes, I can still be alone!

I did it. Successfully made a trip alone sans child, husband, diaper bag or stroller. In the words of De La Soul, it was just me, myself and I! And, to top it all off, I didn't cry. Not one tear shed the whole trip. I thought for sure I would be wrought with anxiety or sadness, but surprisingly I wasn't. It probably helps that my husband is a great dad and I didn't worry about her care at all. And, my girlfriends are extremely entertaining, so there was never a dull moment.

Speaking of, the weekend turned out to be somewhat jinxed. I don't know if the stars weren't aligned for us or if the strong winds in Florida were swirling bad luck, but let me give you a rundown of all the craziness. Our host Lauren had broken her arm the Wednesday before people were to arrive. The poor thing couldn't dress, shower or drive very well and made it very hard to act as hostess, as you can imagine. Then, Thursday Amy missed her flight and had to hop on a later one. Amanda cancels her trip last minute because her child gets sick. Dana decides last minute to come and pays $600 for a flight that arrives Thursday midnight. Lauren's husband's car had a broken seat that wouldn't sit upright. The city was under a water ban with contaminated city water, so there was no drinking water. And, to top it all off, while we were all in the car coming back from lunch on Saturday, we get a flat tire in the worst part of town. Waited in our bathing suits, pregnant lady, designer bags and all for over 2 hours for a tow truck and taxi cab to rescue us. Thank you to the two police officers that kept watch over us during the debacle.

With all of that madness, we still managed to stay up until 2 in the morning laughing and talking. Even though its been over a year since the last reunion and 9 years since college, it feels like we never left each others side when we're together. Amy brought the wonderful news that she is over 6 months pregnant with a little boy, which to see her pregnant and feel that belly made all the bad luck go away. Another baby in the group. That makes 3 down and 5 to go. I didn't want to leave my girls, the trip seemed too short. As soon as we get in the groove, then we all have to leave. If only they had a sorority house for adults where husbands and children can live. OK, that sounds like a compound, never mind. But, I would like it if we were all in the same town. I love my girls and our friendship...

bookmark and share

1 Comments:

At October 9, 2007 at 10:10 AM , Blogger always rebellious said...

Helena, you're a fabulous mom and friend!

Guess what? I accidentally wore my houseshoes to lunch yesterday with Spillers (to a swank sushi joint).

You have a permanent commenter! Hurrah!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home