Monday, October 1, 2007

The “It” Color for October: Pink

Pink RibbonI’m a summer girl. I love my flip flops and tanks. I get a natural high from a perfectly sunny day, even when it’s a scorching 100 degrees out. In fact, I’m such a freak about the heat that I’ll drive home from work without turning on the AC, much less cranking it to high like everyone else in Austin. Did I mention I drive a black car that sits outside all day? I know, weird. Give a girl a break.

So usually when the fall/winter months approach, my annual winter blues start to set in. I have a hard time getting out of bed, I develop flip flop separation anxiety, and my normally colorful and quirky wardrobe turns to a uniform of sweats and fleece.

Not this year. This year I’ve decided to grow up and take control of my icy mood by finding something cool (no pun intended) to celebrate, get into, support or just plain have fun with every month until the temp starts a risin’ again. What better time to start than today, October 1st.

Hopefully you’ve already noticed a plethora of pink around you this morning. That’s because October is breast cancer awareness month. Breast cancer is unfortunately something that’s touched nearly all of our lives in some way or another – ourselves, friends, sisters, mothers, neighbors...

For those of you already actively participating in the fight by chairing fundraisers, donating time and money, joining races or whatever other selfless acts you’re doing, kudos and thank you! I think the subject weighs on most women’s minds throughout the year, but some of us might feel helpless or overwhelmed by not knowing how we can contribute. There’s a whole world of information out there on ways we can help make a difference, but here’s a short list of little things we can do that just might add up to a whole lot.

Check yourself:
I know I’m guilty of waiting to let the doc check me at my annual.

Wear pink:
Not just because it complements your skin tone, but because it might just lift someone’s spirit or even better, it might remind someone to schedule a mammogram or to begin checking themselves at home. There are a ton of online stores that offer pink shopping where proceeds are donated to the cause.

Run, walk, crawl… just move:
I know Austin is not the only city that has a Race for the Cure. Check your city’s calendar to find other events too.

Put your money where your mouth is:
If yogurt and frozen dinners are already part of your diet staples, opt for Yoplait® and Lean Cuisine®. Yoplait’s Save Lids to Save Lives and Lean Cuisine’s Do Something Good For the Cure™ progams are a couple among the many ways large corporations are helping customers get more from their purchases.

Fly the friendly skies:
One of Delta’s SkyWish Charities is The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. You can donate your SkyMiles to support the foundation.

Like I said, these little acts barely skim the surface of ways to contribute. But every little bit helps. Happy October.

bookmark and share

1 Comments:

At October 3, 2007 at 5:35 PM , Blogger bj said...

Glad to see you flying the Pink.

I did a Shocking Schiaparelli treatment on my own blog today (yeah, I know I'm just a bit late.) I've also got a wordpress skin available for those who need it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home