Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Swinging in the Rain

My daughter has found the best thing in her 1 year old life, a swing. We purchased a Little Tykes blue swing last week and this weekend we hung it outside on our oak tree. The minute it was up Lillie was dying to get in it. She had been on swings before at the playground, but never right in her own backyard. Once you sit her in the plastic bucket seat, her face lights up and a big grin appears from ear to ear.

Yesterday rain was approaching as we were swinging, I was becoming nervous about the weather, and the meltdown that would occur if I took her out of the seat. We only got a few sprinkles, so we stayed outside and continued back and forth, pushing and smiling. The breeze was cool, for once, and the whole neighborhood was quiet. As I pushed Lillie, I watched the breeze in her hair and the look of complete contentment on her face. She watched the trees sway in the wind, listened to the birds and every so often gave a little giggle.

The serenity of the situation gave me feelings from my own childhood. Quiet outside, no singing toys, television, computers or phones ringing. Just a good breeze and a swing. I talked to Lillie about what she could be when she grows up, and how one day she'll have a little brother or sister to fight over the swing with. And, as we continued I realized that the swing really is the greatest toy, 1 year old or 32. Peaceful, calm, time together.

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home