Monday, February 11, 2008

Mommy diaries: 28 year-old baby

When do mothers stop thinking of their children as their "babies"? Is it when we turn 40? When we can comfortably pay our own bills (not that anyone ever falls in that category)? Or is it when we become parents ourselves?

I used to think it was the latter. I assumed that once we finally gave my mom grandbabies, all the energy and money once spent on us would immediately transfer to the kiddos. Now I’m not so sure that’s the case.

We may not have given her real grandbabies yet, but if grandkitties are any indication of how things will be once the human version comes along, I think the answer to my question is that we will always be our mothers’ babies.

We find $20s in our sock drawers, always get beat to secretly pay the waiter, and never go hungry (nor skinny) when mom is around.

At Christmas, we still get ridiculously full stockings. Our kitties get them now too. The Easter Bunny still sends us care packages that nearly put the stockings to shame. And with Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I suspect that we will receive a box full of goodies for the whole family to share.

Trust me. I’m not complaining one little bit about this mothering behavior. I’m just trying to figure out when I can expect it to stop, if it ever will. Just give me a heads up before it happens, mom. You don’t want a terrible 20’s tantrum on your hands now do you?

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home