Monday, February 4, 2008

Mommy diaries: partying with your baby

Our family trio went to a Superbowl party last night at a good friend's house. She has a little boy about the same age as Lillie and one more on the way. I have to give her much kudos for taking on a party while pregnant and caring for an 18 month old. I've struggled with this a little bit since becoming a parent. Are parties any fun when there are children involved? Or, are we just giving ourselves more chaos to deal with in a different place?

So far most of our partying has included children's birthday parties. Which, I have to admit, are always fun because the entire event is centered around children and children's activities. And, well, I'm a sucker for a cupcake, slice of cake or really anything with frosting on it. But, there have been a few occasions where we go to an adult party that is child-friendly. And, the more it happens, the more I feel like it becomes a parenting battle between mom and dad's. Questions flying left and right including: Who has the kid? Are you watching or am I? And are you letting her eat that? Can I get a beer at this party or am I just going to carry this sippy-cup of juice? Can I eat while you watch her? Oh crap, where'd she go?

I think I need to lower my expectations of what a party really includes now that we have a toddler. I love being with my friends and it is so rare that you get to see all of them in one place. But, gone are the party days of picking out an outfit to impress, hanging out with your hubby, having a glass of wine, eating some cheese and having long meaningful conversations. I'm usually just happy to make it home in one piece without the husband being mad at me for some child meltdown that occurred. Party on Wayne, party on Garth.

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home