Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The great 'thank you note' debate

It was brought up over email among my friends the other day and then discussed further at dinner. Why do we find it necessary to write a thank you note to our close friends every time a gift is exchanged or favor granted? We debated on whether close friends and family should send and receive thank you notes. Or, if it should be a special occasion specifically for those who live out of town or of "a certain age" that may look down their nose at you regarding your manners.

Well, the debate wasn't quite solved. One friend agreed that close friends and family always know you're appreciative of gifts and favors and therefore it isn't necessary to write a card every time it happens. Another argued that because we are women that's what we do, write thank you notes. Its part of our DNA.

To tell you the truth I actually like giving and receiving thank you notes. A part of me likes the formality of it all and what a better excuse to receive something other than junk in the mail. I love that the cards are petite and usually have wonderful designs and sayings. And, honestly, it only takes 5 seconds of your time to write two sentences to a card and slap a stamp on it.

As our generation becomes less formal, less mannered and more digitally inclined, I for one like to keep some traditions alive. It may be the Emily Post in me, maybe my Mother or Charlotte from Sex and the City, whatever it is I'm keeping it. And, it may annoy my friends and guilt them into keeping the tradition, as well. But, I have a sneaking suspicion that they will teach their daughters to do the same.

Thank you for reading my post today.
We hope to see you soon!

Sincerely,
Helen

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home