Friday, January 18, 2008

Cold days, runny noses, hot showers...

Winter finally arrived in Austin, TX and lately the days have been in the thirties and forties. Along with the cold weather, Lillie has developed a serious plugged up nose. It is so frustrating listening to your bub snarfle, sniffle and gag on their own snot. Gross subject, I know, but why is it that we don't develop the understanding of blowing our nose until a later age? Just doesn't seem fair.

Since this nose thing has been out of control and FDA is now telling the public not to use cold medications with any person under two, we have had some restless nights. I hear it on the monitor, the little snore that turns into a gag, then cough and then we're up. Poor girl, you just want to say to her, blow that gunk out! But, alas, she can't and so we've found two things that are pure genius for tiny stopped up noses.

First, Little Noses saline nose spray. This is a miracle worker at drying up the gunk. A couple of squirts in each nostril and you are good to go. Now, getting the solution in the nose is a challenge for me. Lillie sees the little white bottle and immediately starts shaking her head from side to side, saying "no". Once we wrangle it in, we are good!

Second, a warm, steamy shower before bed time turns Lillie's little nose into a snot fountain. Lillie always loves her bath and occasionally I have brought her in the shower with me when I need to get ready and watch her at the same time. Genius came over me the other night and I thought let's shower before bed and really get all this gunk out. It was brilliant! The longer the shower, the more the drainage. Thankfully, it is an activity that Lillie thinks is super fun.

I realize we have just a hint of what cold is really like. And, the rest of the country is buried under inches of snow. But, if you are with me and have a little one with a cold, hop in the shower. Spend a good 30 minutes in there. Trust me, you'll be amazed!

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home