Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Culture shot: extreme makeover – toy edition

Growing up, I remember hearing my parents reminisce about the “good old days” when kids played outside, video games were a futuristic nonsense concept, and kids stayed out of mom’s hair by roaming the neighborhood with their friends from dusk til’ dawn.

I remember thinking they sounded so old fashioned, and right then-and-there vowing to never consider my childhood “the good old days”. I would remain cool and hip forever, always accepting change and remaining youthful. Never thinking the newest music was too loud and obnoxious, the latest fashions were inappropriate and sloppy, and sweatless extracurricular activities were a total waste of time.

As I read (and completely agreed with) Babble.com’s hilarious post today about “The 20 Worst Toy Makeovers”, I realized that I had sure enough become just like my parents. Why couldn’t the mega toy companies leave well enough alone?

Strawberry Shortcake was just fine with her frumpy hat. And last time I checked, Cabbage Patch Kids were babyish and powder-scented, not covered in blue highlights and sporting a crop top.

You have to check out the rest of their top 20 list for a good chuckle…and unfortunately for a reality check that you’re getting old and becoming your parents.

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home