Monday, January 14, 2008

Kitchen knives are not my friend

It was bound to happen at some point. I try and juggle to many things at one time - feed Lillie, bring in groceries, answer the phone, etc. Well, this time I was cutting the stems of hydrangeas for a few flower arrangements for a baby shower I was throwing, giving Lillie her lunch and overall trying to go too fast. I usually shouldn't be allowed to wield large knives, because I am accident prone. But, this time I felt I needed the largest knife we own to cut the very thick stem. Sawing back and forth trying to free the hydrangea, SLICE, I caught my finger instead of the stem! HOLY CRUD!

The "S" word came out of my mouth about 400 times as I tried to stop the bleeding. I knew it was bad and going to require a hospital visit. I panic. Immediately I pick up the phone and call Cy, then hang up. No, I need Sarah, she's closer and more available. Sarah answers and I say, "I need your help, I've cut my finger I think I need to go to the hospital!" Sarah says, "I'll be there in 5 minutes." Now as Sarah is speeding over to my home, she is having visions of Steel Magnolias when Julia Roberts is on the passed out on the floor and her baby is wailing in the background. So, she goes faster and faster, even running a red light.

Well, my voice was probably more dramatic than the actual cut. My finger was still attached and all. After getting to the hospital, it required 3 stitches. Which, for never having stitches in my life, was a very painful moment. It was the shot in the finger that was the most horrific pain I've ever felt. I don't recommend it.

We are all healing now. Lillie thankfully didn't learn to repeat my profanity that was yelled over and over. And, I looked like a total doofus at the shower with my big, fat finger in a bandage. However, the flowers were gorgeous and even received compliments. So, maybe it was all worth it. Hmmm, I don't think so!

bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home